The Military Community
The following is a list of rresources for Student Military Members, Veterans, and Student Family Members in the Military/Veteran Community:
UNM Student Health & Counseling (SHAC)
Counseling Services for UNM VMRC (Veteran/Military Resource Center) eligible students (fees may apply): Call SHAC at (505) 277-3136 to discuss and schedule an appointment.
Medical Services (fees may apply): Primary Care, Deployment Health Risk Assessments, Muscle/Skeletal, TBI and PTSD care. Medical services provided by Kara Stiles, Nurse Practitioner and OIF Veteran. To schedule, contact Kara through the SHAC Health Portal.
SHAC offers medical and mental health support to students of the Afghan community.
- If an Afghanistan Citizen has been employed by/on behalf of the US Government, this link advises on how to apply for a special Visa to leave Afghanistan:
- To view the most up-to-date information on the situation in Afghanistan and potential assistance for evacuation:
U.S. Embassy in Afghanistan (usembassy.gov)
- Non-Profits assisting in relocation:
LIRS (Lutheran Immigration and Refugee Service)
No One Left Behind
UNM Campus Resources
- Veteran and Military Resource Center
- Benefit administration and resources
- PAVE (Peer Advisors for Veteran Education)
- Student Veterans of UNM
- Project Raptor: A Brain Research Study About Military Service Members
- VSOC (VetSuccess on Campus) at UNM
Irvine "Mia" Pasquier (pronounced Pass-key-A)
- Vocational Rehab
- NM VA
- Iraq and Afghanistan Veteran Association (IAVA)
- Service Women’s Action Network (SWAN)
- Wounded Warrior Project
- Team Rubicon
- Bob Woodruff Foundation
- Gary Sinise Foundation
- Disabled American Veterans
- Military.com listing of top Veteran Organizations
- Make the Connection: Watch Veterans and their family members share stories of strength and how mental health services have improved their lives. Find useful information and local mental health resources.
Veterans Crisis Line
If you are a Service member or Veteran in crisis or you’re concerned about one, please contact the Veterans Crisis Line:
- To call: Dial 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1 to talk to someone.
- To text: Send a text message to 838255 to connect with a VA responder.
- To chat: Start a confidential online chat session at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.