Take One for Raymond Flu Shot Clinics
October 3, 2019
SHAC’s annual Take One for Raymond Flu Shot Clinics were held on October 1 and 2, 2019 at the SUB Atrium from 10:00 AM-2:00 PM each day. SHAC dedicates their annual flu shot clinics in memory of UNM student Raymond Plotkin, who passed away from the H1N1 virus in 2009.
Raymond’s parents established the Take One for Raymond Flu Shot Initiative and Scholarship program to encourage everyone to get their seasonal flu shots. This year, Elaine and Ronald Plotkin honored the 10th anniversary of Raymond’s passing by participating in this year’s Flu Shot Clinics.
Turnout this year was high; 2,400 students, staff, faculty, and community members were vaccinated over a seven-hour time period. This is an average of one shot given every three minutes among 16 student vaccinators!
Thank you for your support!
SHAC would like to acknowledge the following individuals and departments who made this year’s clinics a success:
- UNM SUB provided the space.
- UNMH provided supplies and vaccine.
- UNM Nursing, PA, Pharmacy, and Medical students gave injections.
- SHAC Health Promotion and Marketing promoted the clinics and decorated the area with posters and an informational slide show.
- SHAC Health Education interns and work studies helped with clinic prep in the days leading up to the clinics and also helped work the lines.
- Numerous SHAC clinical and administrative staff who participated helped keep the momentum of the clinic going.
- SHAC clinical and administrative staff kept SHAC going while so many staff were working at the Flu Shot Clinics.
- SHAC Student Health Leadership Council members volunteered their time to help with crowd control and teaching about hand hygiene.
- Raymond Plotkin’s parents Ronnie and Elaine addressed the student volunteers about their son’s story, and they had their own table and talked to folks in line to get their shots.
Below are a few snapshots from this year's flu shot clinics:
Ronald and Elaine Plotkin
Ronald Plotkin, Crucificio G. Caputo, and Elaine Plotkin
Note: Crucifio received the 2019-2020 Raymond Plotkin Engineering Scholarship for Incoming Freshman.
Medical Students and SHAC Staff
SHAC Staff: Barbara Krause, Mid-Level & Nursing Director and Kimmerly Kloeppel, Interim Executive Director
SHAC Staff: Lisa Leahigh, Allergy & Immunization Manager and Flu Shot Clinic Coordinator
SHAC Staff: Tiffany Martinez-Durant, Health Promotion & Marketing Manager
SUB Director: Walt Miller
Flu Shot Options (Effective 10/3/19)
UNM Students - by Appointment @ SHAC
UNM students can schedule a same-day appointment to get a free flu shot at SHAC (while supplies last). To schedule an appointment, call SHAC at (505) 277-3136.
UNM Staff, Faculty & Community
- UNMH Flu Shot Clinics through Nov. 2, 2019
- Flu Shots for UNM Staff & Faculty (by appointment only):
UNM Employee Occupational Health, Family Practice Center, 2400 Tucker NE, (505) 272-8043
- New Mexico Department of Health:
The NM Department of Health offers vaccinations for people without insurance or who are otherwise not able to get vaccinated. For information on locations in your area visit the Public Health Offices page.
- HealthMap Vaccine Finder
- CDC Flu Vaccine Finder: Find a local pharmacy near you that offers flu shots.