The mission of UNM Student Health and Counseling (SHAC) is to enhance the wellbeing of students through access to the highest quality health care, education and advocacy.
- SHAC provides care to students as needed by organizing clinical services around a college health population.
- Timely interventions for acute mental health and medical problems increase the likelihood that students will complete their educational goals.
Equity and Affordability:
- We actively seek to eliminate barriers to services for all students regardless of insured or financial status.
- SHAC strives to reach all groups, including non-traditional, international, professional and graduate students in promoting services.
- SHAC works hard to find low cost, in-network options for all referred care.
- All services are provided by professionals who are certified in their respective areas and have expertise related to college health.
- Services are appropriately developed and assessed for efficacy.
- Quality of services are compared to other college health centers and industry standards.
- Funders, such as the UNM Student Fee Review Board (SFRB) and UNM administration, can assess the effectiveness of resources provided.
- Support and consultation are provided to the UNM community with a goal of promoting a healthy, safe campus for a positive learning environment.
- Students can access services in an environment that feels safe, welcoming and affirming.
- The highest standards for safety and quality are demonstrated by maintaining AAAHC (Accreditation Association for Ambulatory Healthcare, Inc.) accreditation.
Teamwork - Senior leadership fosters a collaborative and supportive work environment to:
- Maximize the potential for contribution from each employee
- Foster personal and professional growth
- Encourage employee and organizational wellness