Insurance - Important Tips
- Students are not required to have health insurance to be seen at Student Health & Counseling (SHAC). However, SHAC strongly recommends that all students have health insurance to help defray healthcare costs.
- Please provide insurance information when you make an appointment. Bring your insurance card at time of service. If you do not have insurance or insurance we contract with, you will be responsible for fees and services at a self-pay rate. We are unable to change your insurance information once a claim has been filed.
- Our self-pay rates are normally below market. For example: The average cost of an X-ray is $75.00 without insurance. Medical appointments are $15 (or less with Medicaid). Some services are free (e.g., one Triage and one Counseling session; does not include an assessment visit).
- You are responsible for understanding your plan benefits, co-pays, and deductibles. Some services require prior authorizations and may not be scheduled on the same day. Your insurance benefits may be different for Counseling/Behavioral services. If your Insurance is not from New Mexico, you may be considered “out-of-network” by your insurance; rates will apply accordingly. Always contact your Insurance Plan if you have questions. The phone number is usually on the back of the insurance card.
- For information on Blood/Body Fluid Exposure (Needle-Stick Insurance), please click here.
- Payments can be made at the front desk by cash, check, Lobo Cash, credit card (Visa, Discover, American Express, MasterCard), Flexible Spending Card, or by charging to a student bursar account.
- In order to ensure privacy, your Bursar’s account will not reflect individual charges. The date will reflect when the Bursar’s charged the account NOT date of service. Charges may reflect services rendered within the last 30 to 90 days.
- SHAC Lab: Few labs are done in-house. The majority of lab work is sent to Tricore for processing. Tricore will bill participating insurance plans that SHAC has an agreement with. If you are uninsured, SHAC will bill you through your Bursar’s account. If you have an insurance that we do not have an agreement with, Tricore Reference Labs will automatically bill your insurance.
- SHAC may, at times, enter into an agreement (MOU) with other departments in the UNM community to provide services for certain groups of enrolled students who are not paying student fees, or departments who want to pay for additional services. These agreements will specifically define what services can be provided and at what rates (for example GEO and the BA/MD programs).
- Health insurance will not pay for “no-show” charges ($20). This applies for Medical and Counseling Services. A “petition” to waive the fee can be filed online. See No-Show Petition. This should be for superfluous circumstances only.
If you have billing questions, please contact SHAC and ask to speak to a Billing Representative at (505) 277-3136, Option 4.