Seasonal Flu Shots for UNM Students (effective 1/16/15)
Get a flu shot to protect yourself and everyone else from the flu!
UNM Students (18 or older) can get a free flu shot on a walk-in basis at the SHAC Immunization Clinic on the 2nd floor of SHAC (while supplies last). The Immunization Clinic is open Mon. – Thu., 8:00 AM – 5:30 PM; and Friday, 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM. (See also SHAC Promo Flyer.)
SHAC's "Take One for Raymond" flu shots are dedicated to the memory of UNM student Raymond Plotkin, who passed away from the H1N1 virus in 2009. Raymond’s parents established the “Take One for Raymond” Initiative and Scholarship Program to encourage everyone to get their seasonal flu shots.
For information about flu shots, call the SHAC Immunization Clinic at 277-7925.
Flu Shot Options for UNM Staff, Faculty & Community
- UNM LoboCare Clinic: UNM Employees with UNM health insurance plans (BCBS, Presbyterian, or UNM Health) may call LoboCare at 272-3935 (option #1) to schedule an appointment to get a flu shot. LoboCare is located at 1101-4 Medical Arts, Bldg #4, Suite A.
- UNM Employee Occupational Health, Family Practice Center, 2400 Tucker NE, 272-8043
- New Mexico Department of Health: For information about flu vaccination clinics throughout New Mexico, you can call the Immunization Hotline toll free at 1-866-681-5872.
Influenza Prevention Efforts at UNM (eff. Jan. 22, 2014):
"Take One for Raymond" Flu Shot & Scholarship Initiative
UNM SHAC dedicates their annual flu shot clinics in memory of UNM student Raymond Plotkin, who passed away from the H1N1 virus in 2009.
Raymond’s parents established the “Take One for Raymond” Initiative and Scholarship program to encourage everyone to get their seasonal flu shots.
2014-2015 Scholarship Recipient
The 5th recipient of the Raymond E. Plotkin Scholarship in the UNM School of Engineering is Marissa R. Westenskow. She is currently a freshman student in Engineering and a graduate from Green River High School in Green River, Wyoming. Marissa is a General Engineering student, currently taking courses towards a Chemical Engineering degree with a focus in Biomedical Engineering. Marissa is a very passionate and tenacious student with strong work ethic, who works hard and doesn’t easily give up. These qualities have made her earn recognitions at the national level such as being named a National Merit Scholar.
For more information about the Raymond E. Plotkin Scholarship, visit the UNM School of Engineering website.
Raymond's Parents @ Fall 2013 Flu Shot Clinics
Elaine and Ronnie Plotkin participated in the SHAC Flu Shot Clinics on Sep. 25 and 26, 2013 at the SUB Atrium. We really appreciated their help!
For more info about the "Take One for Raymond" Initiative and Scholarship Program, please see the following:
- Flu shot campaign honors past UNM student, Daily Lobo Article by Dr. Peg Spencer, 9/24/13
- "Houston Hillel Raymond Plotkin Fund provides lasting legacy," Jewish Herald Voice article, 11/08/12
- Parents of H1N1 victim encourage students to “take one for Raymond," by Dr. Peg Spencer, Daily Lobo Article, 9/21/12
- Engineering Student Services: Scholarship Recipient Announced (includes detailed info about the Raymond E. Plotkin Scholarship)
- Take One for Raymond Foundation is on Facebook!
- "Student's Legacy Inspires Vaccine Drive", Daily Lobo Article, 9/26/11
- "Take One for Raymond and Protect Yourself From Flu", Daily Lobo Article, 10/4/10
- First Raymond E. Plotkin Scholarship Awarded, UNM News Today, 9/29/10
- "Community Mourns Teen H1N1 Flu Death", Houston Jewish Herald-Voice Article, Nov. 19, 2009
Influenza Updates & Resources:
Prevention Tips & Information:
There are precautions that everyone can take to stay healthy. Good hand washing is one of the most effective ways to prevent the spread of colds, flu, and other communicable diseases.